Katelyn Steffel Spangrud
Katelyn Steffel Spangrud is an Associate Attorney for the Swenson Lervick Law Firm. Her primary areas of practice include employment law and personal injury. In addition to her private practice, she also serves as an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Alexandria prosecuting criminal matters and enforcing municipal ordinances. As part of her employment law practice, Katelyn regularly presents for the West Central Minnesota Society of Human Resource Management and participates in training seminars on issues related to harassment and discrimination in the workplace.
Born and raised in Alexandria, her professional and personal philosophy includes giving back to the community. Katelyn is a firm believer in being a person of high integrity, and listening and learning from others.
Katelyn’s drive, integrity, and dedication to her clients and the community is consistently demonstrated by her involvement and leadership in various community organizations including the Douglas County Domestic Violence Taskforce, Lakes Area Professional Women and the Alexandria Area High School Citizens Academy Mock Trial. In 2020, Katelyn was named as a Top 5 Professional Under 40 by the Alexandria Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce and the Echo Press and is a Leadership Alexandria graduate.
Katelyn has a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and Philosophy from the University of South Dakota and received her Juris Doctorate from the Mitchell Hamline School of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota. Her professional interests include trial advocacy, civil rights, employment law, health care compliance, and non-profit governance.
Katelyn and her husband live in Alexandria with their son, Lukas. They enjoy bowling, heated games of cribbage, and spending weekends at the cabin with friends and family.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Employment Law
- Municipal Prosecution
- General Practice
- Minnesota, 2018
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, 2018
- University of South Dakota, 2015
Honors and Awards
- Alexandria Area Chamber of Commerce Top 5 Under 40
- Leadership Alexandria Graduate
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- Marshall Brennan Fellowship Literacy Project
- Minnesota Justice Foundation Law School Public Service Award
- American Association of Justice Regional Mock Trial Champion
- American Mock Trial Association All-Region Attorney
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association , 2018 to Present
- Douglas County Bar Association, 2018 to Present
- Douglas County Domestic Violence Taskforce, 2018 to Present
- Lakes Area Professional Women, 2019 to Present
- Membership Secretary, 2021-2022
- Incoming President, 2022-Present
Other Community Involvement
- Alexandria Technical Community College Adjunct Professor – Mock Trial for Law Enforcement Class
- West Central Minnesota Society for Human Resource Management Employment Law Update Presenter
- Minnesota State Bar Association Mock Trial Judge
- Alexandria Area High School Citizens Academy Mock Trial Judge
- Alexandria Area High School Career Mentor
- Alexandria Area High School Citizens Academy Career Class Speaker
Past Employment Positions
- Minnesota Judicial Branch, Judicial Law Clerk
- St. Paul City Attorney’s Office, Law Clerk
- ACIST Medical Systems, Law Clerk