Michael J. Cass
Attorney & Shareholder
Mike strives to assist clients in establishing comprehensive estate and business plans. He practices in the areas of estate planning, probate, real estate and small business formation and succession plans. Mike’s clients include individuals, homeowner associations, banks, cities, and farm families. Mike was named a SuperLawyer magazine “Rising Star” four years in a row, an remarkable honor named to attorneys.
Originally from South Dakota, Mike graduated magna cum laude from the University of St. Thomas School of Law in 2007 where he was active as a senior editor for the law review and a student attorney in the law clinic. Prior to law school, Mike attended college at St. John’s University in Collegeville, MN graduating with a BA in computer science and a minor in Asian Studies in 2002.
Mike takes pride in the Alexandria area. He is active in the community and currently sits on the board of governors for the Alexandria Technical and Community College Foundation. Mike volunteers as a Judicare attorney and volunteers for his church and childrens’ school. In his free time, Mike enjoys waterskiing, running, tinkering in his wood shop, and spending time with his bride and three children.
Areas Of Practice
- Real Estate
- Probate, Estate Administration
- Business Organization/Formation
- Minnesota, 2007
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2017
Certified Legal Specialties
- Real Property Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Honors: magna cum laude
- St. Johns University, Collegeville, Minnesota
- B.A. – 2002
- Major: Computer Science
Professional Associations, Awards, and Pro Bono activities
- 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Rising Star – Superlawyers®
- 2016 Top 20 under 40 Business Professionals – Alexandria Area Chamber of Commerce/Echo Press
- Board of Directors – Alexandria Technical and Community College Foundation
- Board of Directors – Runestone Museum, past President
- Member – Seventh District Bar Association
- Member – Douglas County Bar Association, past President
- That’s It – I’m Calling the Cops! Noise, Trash, and Problem Properties, MN CLE co-presenter, June 2019
- MN Medical Assistance, CLE moderator, June 2019
- Judicial Discretion: Melding Messy Facts and Pristine Law, with Hon. Stephen C. Aldrich, MN Bench & Bar, November 2013.
- Landlord Training, City of Alexandria – January 2018 – January 2022
- ABC’s of Estate Planning, Alexandria Technical and Community College Foundation – December 2017
- ABC’s of forming a MN Limited Liability Company, Alexandria Area Economic Development Council – August 2017
- Pitfalls and Positives of Practice in Greater Minnesota during the Pandemic – Panelist – Minnesota CLE, April 2022
From Our Clients
Tom, it has been a pleasure to engage you in resolving issues over the years! I have always appreciated your perspectives and your expertise, and I have no doubt that your insights have saved my company some trouble from time to time. Anytime I have been involved in conversations with others about business matters, I have always felt really good about recommending you and your firm.- B.P.
Attorney Trosvig has represented our company on numerous occasions over the past 10 years. His attention to detail and knowledge of laws are unsurpassed. He is very well spoken in the courtroom and will also simplify things for the average Joe to understand and he gets results! I would highly recommend him.- M.T.
“A friend of mine highly recommended the law firm to help me with the dissolution of marriage case. They have excellent communication skills and assisted me in which direction to go if a problem arose. I would recommend this law firm to my friends and family. I would use this law firm again.”- K.D.
“Derek has represented us in family matters. He is very knowledgeable in family and criminal law and has always worked with our best interests in mind. He is professional and listens to his clients’ wants and needs. He is great at communicating and has always kept us updated on our case and returns phone calls promptly. We would recommend him to anyone who is looking for a great attorney who cares about his clients.”- S.S.
“Derek Trosvig was my choice to respresent me in a difficult family law issue. From Experience, anyone making the same choice would not be disappointed. He was credible, ethical and fought for my rights in court. I trusted his advice and recommendations and he had my best interests in mind.”- C.W.