Derek is a skilled and compassionate lawyer dedicated to providing individual attention and exceptional service to his clients. Derek joined our firm in 1993. He focuses on family law, custody, divorce, personal injury, insurance defense, and other civil disputes, as well as creditor remedies. His legal ability has been recognized in Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine. He has received a "Very High Rating" in both legal ability and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell®, a leading directory for lawyers and law firms.
Derek is a Fergus Falls, Minnesota native. He graduated cum laude from Hamline University in 1989, and received my law degree from William Mitchell College of Law in 1993.
Derek is a member and past president of the Douglas County Bar Association, and the Minnesota Bar Association. He is admitted to practice law before all state courts in the State of Minnesota, the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, and the United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is widely involved in community affairs as a member and past president of the Alexandria Evening Lions Club, member of the Board of Directors and past president and treasurer for the Cardinal Athletic Foundation, member of the Board of Directors and past treasurer for the Alexandria Area YMCA, member of the Knute Nelson Board of Directors and Grand Arbor Board, and Girls Hockey Coordinator and Coach for the Alexandria Area Hockey Association. Derek and his wife Julie have two daughters, and enjoy boating, water sports, the outdoors and hockey in their spare time.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Creditors Remedies
- Minnesota, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1994
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Honors: cum laude
- Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1989
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Business Administartion
- Major: Economics
- Minor: Psychology
- Riley Bros. Const., Inc. v. Shuck , 704 N.W.2d 197 (Minn. Ct. App. 2005)., 2005, Minn.Ct.App.
- Line Const. Ben. Fund (Lineco) v. Skeates , 563 N.W.2d 757 (Minn. Ct. App. 1997), 1997, Minn.Ct.App.
- n re Freier, 604 F.3d 583 , 604 F.3d 583 (8th Cir. 2010) rehearing denied June 8, 20, 2010, 8th Circuit
- Auto Owners Insurance Company
- Geneva Capital, LLC
- LD Development Company
- Bremer Bank
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 1993 to Present
- Douglas County Bar Association, 1993 to Present